Thursday, May 24, 2018

Review: Children of Blood and Bone by Tomi Adeyemi


Like everyone else, this book will be going on my favorites list for 2018. The first words out of my mouth when I read the last sentence and closed the book were "WHAT THE FUCK"! This book reminded me so much of Black Panther, a scene from Star Wars and multiple other things. Zelie is now part of the bad ass girl squad in my book.

We meet Zelie praying to be chosen by her teacher to be given a chance to show her fighting skills. Her people, the maji have been slaughtered, and disrespected by the king. The Maji are very easily distinguished by their white hair and that makes them a target. They used to have magic until the king raided their people and killed all the Maji adults including Zelie's mother.

There are a three points of view, those are Zelie, Amari- the princess, and Inan- the king to be. I usually don't like different points of view because they all seem to have the same voice and are not differentiated but Tomi Adeyemi did such an amazing job making these characters seem so real. I wanted to cry at times because the emotions and memories from these characters were so raw.

I understand the one thing that people don't like about this book is the insta-love, but I didn't have a problem with it. It doesn't last but I am hoping that she doesn't make a love triangle in the next book.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Review: Is This A Cry For Help by Emily Austin

  DNF at 40%. I could not continue this whiplash. I was expecting some big drama surrounding the ex but finding out that she broke up with h...