Saturday, July 17, 2021

Review: Dunbar by Edward St. Aubyn

 


I did not plan on reading this book this month, but I spontaneously joined the readathin weekathin this week on the 11th, and this was my pick for the prompt for a giveaway win. I won this book back in 2017 on Goodreads. I have been wanting to get to it for a while and have been thinking about it a lot this year and I am glad that I picked it up. Going into this, I knew that it was a King Lear retelling. I have never read a Shakespeare play or and work by him. So I have no idea if this is stays true to the original in any way.

Our main character is Henry Dunbar and he is in a sanatorium thanks to his daughters who are planning to completely take over his company and turn it private so they can become even richer. While he is in this sanatorium he is just raging against everyone who stole his company from him. His only friend in the place is a guy who is a comedian and does impressions. He is also an alcoholic who ends up escaping with Henry to the nearest pub. We also meet Henry's three daughters. The older two who are trying to take over and the third daughter who just wants her father back in her life and doesn't care about the money or shares. 

I really loved reading the daughters stories and I was really bored when I was reading Henry's POV. There were a lot of big words that I had no clue what they meant or how they were pronounced. I ended up giving this a 3 star because I really liked the story. I like the suspense and the thrill of the murders and the torture and the deception and the conniving companies. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Review: Is This A Cry For Help by Emily Austin

  DNF at 40%. I could not continue this whiplash. I was expecting some big drama surrounding the ex but finding out that she broke up with h...