I have completed another series. This is the conclusion to the Smile graphic memoir series by author Rain Telgemeier. The first book was called Smile and and the second is called sisters. Thanks to my 12 year old for putting the first book on her 2021 TBR and forcing me to read it because she wanted to talk about it with me. Little booktuber/ book reviewer in training.
This installment is centered around the character Raina's chronic illness of IBS (irritable bowel syndrome). She also deals with anxiety and panic attacks. This story take place while she is in 4th grade and she is also dealing with a bully.
The story starts off with her and her mother dealing with food poisoning and that is where Raina becomes afraid of vomit and the word and actually the risk of throwing up which causes her a great amount of stress which then affects her digestive system that completely disrupts her school life.
She has to go to therapy where she learns how to cope and she eventually finds out that the bully that was bullying her was also going through stomach issues as well.
I absolutely loved this middle grade memoir series. I feel that it teachers about a lot. The first was to be careful and that things will be alright even if they don't go the way as planned. The second one was about family and to love your siblings and that young ones do pay attention to everything their parents do.
I highly recommend this to all ages.

No comments:
Post a Comment