A book that I had high expectations for and it was confusing as hell. Thus us the second book I have read by China Mieville. The first book was a little confusing but it was enjoyable and thrilling. This one was hard to follow. It is dual timeline and it involves surrealist art.
The book start in 1950 in Paris and we follow a guy named Thibaut who is running from Nazi's and manifs that have come to life by an S-blast bomb. The Nazi's are trying to kill the resistance and the manifs. The manifs are killing everyone in their path, and the resistance are killing Nazi's and the resistance. The second timeline is in the 1940's where the war is still raging and it focuses on one guy who makes this box that brings the art and landmarks to life.
If you are confused as hell by my above description, don't worry because I read the book and I don't even know how to properly describe and review it. The afterword makes it seem like this is a somewhat true story and it has description about the art that it included throughout the book.
If you are into art and know who certain artists are and who painted what, then you may enjoy this. There were chunks in this book where it just listed a bunch of artists names and I skimmed because one, I don't know who the hell they are, and two is that there names were difficult to pronounce and I was not about to waste my time doing that.
There was a plot twist that I was not expecting because I know nothing about art.

No comments:
Post a Comment