Saturday, October 2, 2021

Review: Dark Spies by Matthew Dunn

 

It's been a long year to get to this book. I won this book in a Goodreads giveaway win years ago and didn't know until this year that it was book 4 in a series. I put this book on my buzzword readathon TBR and vowed to start the series because if I didn't start it this year it was going to be unhauled. The first book almost made me not continue because the main character Will Cochran was an arrogant asshole who didn't play by the rules. 

I finally got to this book and I am shocked to say that this one was my favorite of the four I have read so far. I believe that Will Cochran has grown as a character. He still believes that he is the best, but he doesn't have that I am untouchable mindset anymore. He finds out in this one when you go against orders, you will be chased around the world. But he also teaches his pursuers that he will come to you to clear his name and to stop a deadly incoming disaster.

He botches a mission in Norway and saves an American CIA under cover agent who bosses don't care if she was killed. Cochran puts a top secret mission in jeopardy that the British Prime Minister and the US President are aware of and the top terrorist named Cobalt. 

The different story lines from the main and side characters were amazing. They all fit nicely together and there wasn't any loose ends. I did enjoy the ending with the antagonist and his plans. I would love to see him come back in the next 3 books. I did ship Will with the woman Emma, who he met on the bus. I didn't really vibe with the love interest that was chosen for him though. 

I will be picking up the 5th book either in December or January. I have to finish this series now because Will is no longer the douchebag Spartan in the world's eyes. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Review: Is This A Cry For Help by Emily Austin

  DNF at 40%. I could not continue this whiplash. I was expecting some big drama surrounding the ex but finding out that she broke up with h...