Saturday, October 30, 2021

Review: The Enemy by Charlie Higson

 

I would have not picked up this series if I had not bought the 5th and 6th books from Dollar Tree. When I bought them, the covers intrigued me and the synopsis caught my attention. Not knowing that they were a series. My library also had the books listed under a different author name and could not find the book in the database so that was a year longer. I finally found the books in my library database and they had these covers. 

This series is about zombies and a group of kids who are battling the diseased grown ups. While reading, I was thinking of Gone by Michael Grant and The Walking Dead. Everyone above the age of 16 has become diseased ridden and have become zombies. They have boils and blisters and their brain functions have stopped completely. At the beginning, we follow a group of kids called the Waitrose group because they have been living in a local Waitrose. There is also another group of kids called The Holloway Gang who eventually group up with the Waitrose Kids. They eventually save a kid name Jester who comes to tell them to come to Buckingham Palace because it is safe. They have food, beds and clean drinking water. Also the grown ups are cowards and run away instead of fighting. 

When they get to Buckingham Palace it is very similar to what happened in Woodbury and the Governor in The Walking Dead. It looks to good to be true, but if you don't comply with the rules, you become an enemy. 

There are also side characters that we follow and that is small Sam. Small Sam was part of the Waitrose kids until he got snatched by grownups. He eventually escape and on his journey, he comes across more grown-ups, and gets captured by cannibals. While reading, he made a lot of stupid mistakes that made me irate and anxious. 

There was some predictable moments but what can you expect when you have watched 8 seasons of The Walking Dead and you have read most of the YA dystopian books on the market. All of this to say, I can't wait to read the second book. I will be finishing this series next year. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Review: Alice in Borderland volume 1 by Haro Aso *spoilers* PART 2

  I decided to split my blogpost for volume 1 into 2 because it would be hella long and I wasn't about that. Plus having the first part ...