Who am I??? I never read sequels back to back. I read The Golem and The Jinni last month and absolutely LOVED IT! So much that I immediately requested this one from my library. I don't know if it is only going to be a duology because the author took 8 years to write this after the first book. She took her time and it paid off. I still felt everything for the characters, the new characters that were introduced grabbed at my heartstrings and every emotion that you can think of, I felt.
The beginning starts right off with where we left off with Ahmad the Jinni and Chava the Golem. They are still going on their nightly walks and they are watching the city and people around them change. Which is what starts the fight between the two of them and drives them apart. Chava makes a different life for herself and Ahmad basically becomes a hermit. We get point of views from Toby, Anna's son and a girl who loses her father in an apartment fire and they make something that will eventually change everything. We follow Sophia Winston on her years long journey throughout the middle East to try and find a cure for what happened between her and the jinni. It is also confirmed what was implied that she went through and the reason for her illness. We also meet a new jinniyeh who becomes a major antagonist in a way.
Helene Wecker just has a way of making these characters come to life and weaving thier stories so intricately and smoothly. I am hoping that eventually there will be a third book to wrap up these characters, because there is room for growth.
No comments:
Post a Comment