Sunday, January 16, 2022

Review: The Man Who Played with Fire by Jan Socklassa

 


My first translated and nonfiction read of the year and I am sad to say that it wasn't that great. The Millenium Trilogy by Stieg Larsson is one of my favorite series and I have had this on my TBR since it was released. Going into this, I knew it was a true crime and I was expecting interviews and documents and there were some of those files included, but it got really boring most of the time. The author was constantly repeating facts and going off on tangents on people who were briefly mentioned and companies that essentially were suspected but never brought up again.

I also had a hard time keeping people's names in order. I found myself just swiping pages to get to the next chapter because I didn't care. 

This is about the Olof Palme assassination back in the 1980's. He was the Prime Minister of Sweden and people really didn't like him because he was against the South Africa Apartheid. He wanted to end it and hold the people responsible. His murder was finally solved back in June of 2020. This fact is not in the book. 

This book goes into detail about Stieg Larsson's hatred for right wing extremism and Nazis. It goes into detail about how the killing of Olof Palme was a conspiracy by the South Africans and the author Jan Stocklassa going on stakeouts, interviews and international trips to question the men who were suspected.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Review: Is This A Cry For Help by Emily Austin

  DNF at 40%. I could not continue this whiplash. I was expecting some big drama surrounding the ex but finding out that she broke up with h...