When I was a freshman in High School back in 2005, my friends and I watched the movie The Phantom of the Opera and FELL IN FREAKING LOVE!! We talked about it the whole year and it was the cause of us being late to many school events. When my husband and I started dating, this was the first movie we watched together and he enjoyed it alot. It has become our movie and we try to watch it together once or twice a year.
Back in 2020, right when the pandemic started, I saw that a book subscription service that is no longer in operation did a Phantom of the Opera box and I had to have it. I bought it and now I finally picked it up. I was supposed to read it last month for my spell the month in books TBR. I was already excited about getting to it and then a show I am watching had an Andrew Lloyd Webber night and of course he is known for bringing this classic book to the West End and Broadway.
Going in, I expected things from the movie to be similar...... but boy was I wrong. I am usually one of those people that hates changes from book to movie. But since I have seen the movie hundreds of times, I knew I couldn't be mad at what changed. I actually enjoyed the book and love that we got backstory into Christine's life and that the story that Madame Giry tells in the movie is similar to The Persian's narrative in the book. There were some scenes that happened in the beginning of the book that happened at the end of the movie and it was very jarring but it all came together so nicely in the end. I didn't like that the phantom died before Christine in the book because one of my favorite scenes in the movie is when Raul visits Christine's grave and he sees a rose with the ring.
The torture chamber room was a surprising part and I kind of wish that it was left in the movie.
Overall I give this 4 out of 5 stars. I wish it was longer and had more of the songs from the plays that were mentioned.

No comments:
Post a Comment