Sunday, October 23, 2016

Review: The One You Love by Paul Pilkington

I got through another kindle read, and I was not impressed. It is the first of a mystery-thriller- suspense series set in London. That's the main reason I got it for free because of the setting and the cover art.
(Source: The One You Love Goodreads Page)

I was excited to read this book because I have been gaining a fascination with London and the culture and accents and all that, and wanted to read more about locations. This book I kind of enjoyed. It did not meet my expectations but it was a good little thrill. I did give it 3 out of 5 stars on Goodreads.

It starts off with the main character Emma celebrating her hen party. A hen party is a bachelorette party. During the party, Emma gets a phone call saying that her fiance hasn't shown up for his stag party and that he isn't answering the door or answering his phone. She immediately starts thinking of the past and that it's going to happen again.

This book was a constant slow burn. You don't find out that this is her second engagement where her first ran off before the wedding. We also learn why after pointless little chapters of thoughts from the other characters. It really felt like a teenager in late middle school or early high school wrote this and couldn't keep a consistent POV or direction.

It was confusing to meet the characters and who was who in the story. We are introduced to Emma's dad in one chapter and then a couple chapters later, it goes back to that chapter story and tells his story. It was a constant back and forth between story lines and it didn't mesh well for me.

I would give the sequel a chance, but I have other things that I would rather read and I am not going to pay a little bit of money for a kindle read that I might not like after the first was a middle rate for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Review: Is This A Cry For Help by Emily Austin

  DNF at 40%. I could not continue this whiplash. I was expecting some big drama surrounding the ex but finding out that she broke up with h...