If ya'll know anything about me is that I love book to movie or TV adaptations. I watched and read The Man in the High Castle. My favorite character is Frank Frink. The actor who plays Frank in the show is Rupert Evans and I had to watch more of his work. He is British and has done a lot of television work. I found some of his other works and watched them and read about him and he is a great actor. I found that he was in a TV movie called Sons & Lovers and then realized it was based off a book.
This cover is the movie tie in edition for the novel. This book has so many covers like so many other classics. I like this cover because Rupert Evans is on it. *swoon*
I loved this book. It is the only classic so far that I have loved. It is about the Morel family and their life. It starts with Gertrude, a sophisticated woman meeting Walter, a miner at a dance and getting together and marrying. They have 4 children.. William, Annie, Paul, and Arthur. The father Walter is an abusive alcoholic. He spends his money on booze and doesn't pay his debts. That's when Gertrude no longer loves him and instead gives all her love to her boys.
The rest of the book focuses on Paul Morel. It shows him getting a job as a clerk in a factory and swearing off marriage because his mother needs him and no one can hold a candle to her. He soon spends most of his time with a young lady named Miriam and her family. He teaches Miriam french and algebra. He is in a constant bi polar attitude towards Miriam. One minute he is cordial and civil towards her, but the next he is a rage and hates her with every fiber of his being. They don't want marriage but they know it will be expected of them if they keep spending so much alone time together.
Paul also has an affair with another woman named Clara. She is a married woman and he yet again, has that bi polar attitude towards her and still doesn't want marriage.
I liked this book because it made me feel the anger and the joy from Paul's attitude. It made me feel how Miriam was feeling towards Paul. She wanted him and he wanted her, but he wouldn't let himself have her that way. The fact that Paul's and Miriam's relationship was based off a real one of the authors is fascinating. Paul's mother was my favorite because the women in her son's lives were "brazen hussies". It was hilarious. The fact that this book is just a simple look into the lives of the Morel family is one of the many reasons it is now a favorite of mine.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Review: Is This A Cry For Help by Emily Austin
DNF at 40%. I could not continue this whiplash. I was expecting some big drama surrounding the ex but finding out that she broke up with h...
-
I was originally going to do a review on just the book, but then decided to review and compare both the book and the movie as well. I am goi...
-
Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly meme hosted by Jana from That Artsy Reader Girl . This week is a freebie prompt so I am going to be sharing m...
-
This outfit is called lazy day . I made this set just on a whim. I saw the socks while I was watching an episode of Pit Bulls and Parolees,...

No comments:
Post a Comment