About the book: An irresistible, vivid, and wise story of one woman’s reckoning with loss and love.
Blanca is forty years old and motherless. Shaken by the unexpected death of the most important person in her life, she suddenly realizes that she has no idea what her future will look like.
To ease her dizzying grief and confusion, Blanca turns to her dearest friends, her closest family, and a change of scenery. Leaving Barcelona behind, she returns to Cadaqués, on the coast, accompanied by her two sons, two ex-husbands, and two best friends, and makes a plan to meet her married lover for a few stolen moments as well.
My Thoughts: This was a really quick read for me and I enjoyed it somewhat. It wasn't was I was expecting, but I wanted more from it. It was very hard at times to keep up with who was talking and you couldn't tell when they stopped talking to each other. There are no quotation marks anywhere in this story, and it was very hard to differentiate all of the characters because they had no voice. I absolutely dislike the writing style of this book.
At times, I couldn't tell if she was angry with her mom with how she was treated or leaving her suddenly. It really struck a chord with me how all the adults were doing drugs with her sons around and that she was barely there with them in their time of grief as well. She just lost her mother, I know, but she didn't have consideration for her sons' feelings. Instead she went out with multiple men to have sex and do drugs.
My favorite part of the entire book was the epilogue. It was actually really great. Better than the entire story before it.
About the author: (TRANSLATED by Google) Milena Busquets Tusquets was born in Barcelona in 1972. She studied at the French Lycée and graduated in archeology at University College London.
I received this book from Blogging for Books for this review.

No comments:
Post a Comment